Enquiries & complaints

We provide a free, fair and independent dispute-resolution service for electricity and natural gas consumers who have been unable to resolve a complaint with their Tasmanian energy retailer or distributor.

You must lodge your complaint with the Energy Ombudsman within two years of becoming aware of the issue.

We can only deal with Tasmanian energy providers.

Only the following companies in Tasmania are within the Energy Ombudsman's jurisdiction:

Gordon Dam, Tasmania

Issues we can't help with

We can only help with Tasmanian energy providers. For complaints against energy providers outside Tasmania, please contact the Energy Ombudsman in your State.

We can't help with some issues such as tariff structures and energy pricing, but there are other organisations which may be able to help you.

Complaint procedure

What do I need to do?

Your first step is to contact the energy supplier's call centre. Explain your problem, ask if they can help and what they intend to do. Make a note of:

  • The operator's name
  • The date and time of the call
  • What was said.

If the call centre staff can't help you, ask to speak to a senior staff member.

If the matter is complicated and not urgent, it may be better to write a letter to the person who is in charge of dealing with your complaint.

When should I contact the Energy Ombudsman?

If you are not able to resolve the problem, or you are not satisfied with the company's response, you can lodge a complaint with the Energy Ombudsman.

What information do I need?

You will be asked to provide:

  • Your contact details
  • The name of your supplier
  • The address where the electricity or gas is supplied
  • An outline of your complaint.

Explain the complaint briefly and clearly. Include copies of relevant letters, bills or notes.

What happens next?

If you haven't already tried to resolve the complaint with your energy supplier, we will ask you to do so. We may still refer it back to the supplier to give them further opportunity to resolve the complaint. If this doesn't work, we will take up the matter ourselves, unless this is not justified. Our Investigation Officer may seek the following information from the supplier:

  • Account records
  • Copies of letters or other correspondence
  • Technical reports
  • Details of any offers such as compensation
  • Reasons for any decisions made by the energy supplier regarding your complaint.

We may also ask you for more information and we may seek independent expert advice.

During our investigation, your supplier may propose a resolution to your complaint. We will contact you to see whether you are satisfied with the proposed solution.

If you are satisfied, we will confirm the details and close the file. If you are not satisfied and we believe there are sufficient grounds to support your case, we will continue our investigation.

Sometimes after preliminary enquiries or investigation we decide that further investigation of the complaint is not warranted. If this happens, we will explain our reasons and advise that we intend to close the complaint file.

Most complaints are resolved satisfactorily for both the customer and the supplier.  However, the Energy Ombudsman also has the power to make a binding decision.

Make your complaint

Before you submit a complaint to us, you should try and sort out the problem with the supplier. If that doesn't work, we may be able to help you.

Make a complaint via our online form

  • If you would like a hard copy of the complaint form to fill in, you can ring us on 1800 001 170 and request one to be posted to you.  You can also download the form (PDF, 71.5 KB).
  • Forms can be hand delivered, posted or emailed to us.
  • We are at Level 6, NAB House, 86 Collins Street, Hobart.
  • Our mailing address is GPO Box 960, Hobart, 7001.
  • Our email address is: energy.ombudsman@ombudsman.tas.gov.au

If you need more information or are not sure, please contact us.