How to make a complaint

To lodge a complaint with the office use our online complaint form or download a PDF printable version

Before you contact us you should try and sort out the problem with the supplier. If this doesn't work, we may be able to help.

You must lodge your complaint with the Energy Ombudsman within two years of becoming aware of the issue.

We cannot deal with every energy-related organisation.  Only the following companies are within the Energy Ombudsmans jurisdiction:

Aurora Energy (Electricity and Gas Retail) Customer Feedback: 1800 800 753

Hydro Tasmania (Electricity Generation) Enquiries: 1300 360 441

TasNetworks (Electricity Distribution from 1 July 2014) Enquiries: 1300 137 008 Emergencies and Faults: 13 2004

TasGas (Network)

Network: 1800 770 018 (Freecall)

TasGas (Retail)
Retail: 1800 438 427 (Freecall)

Complaint procedure:

Contact your supplier first

Your first step is to contact the energy suppliers call centre. Explain your problem, ask if they can help and what they intend to do. Make a note of:

  • The operator's name
  • The date and time of the call
  • What was said

If the call centre staff can't help you, ask to speak to a senior staff member.

If the matter is complicated and not urgent, it may be better to write a letter to the person who is in charge of dealing with your complaint.

Back to top 

When should I contact the Energy Ombudsman?

If you are not able to resolve the problem, or you are not satisfied with the company's response, you can lodge a complaint with the Energy Ombudsman.

The Energy Ombudsman does not handle complaints about:

Back to top 

What information do I need?

You will be asked to provide:

  • Your contact details
  • The name of your supplier
  • The address where the electricity or gas is supplied
  • An outline of your complaint.

Explain the complaint briefly and clearly. Include copies of relevant letters, bills or notes.

Back to top 

What happens next?

If you haven't already tried to resolve the complaint with your energy supplier, we will ask you to do so. We may still refer it back to the supplier to give them further opportunity to resolve the complaint. If this doesnt work, we will take up the matter ourselves, unless this is not justified. Our Investigation Officer may seek the following information from the supplier:

  • Account records
  • Copies of letters or other correspondence
  • Technical reports
  • Details of any offers such as compensation
  • Reasons for any decisions made by the energy supplier regarding your complaint

We may also ask you for more information and we may seek independent expert advice.

During our investigation, your supplier may propose a resolution to your complaint. We will contact you to see whether you are satisfied with the proposed solution.

If you are satisfied, we will confirm the details and close the file. If you arent satisfied and we believe there are sufficient grounds to support your case, we will continue our investigation.

Sometimes after preliminary enquiries or investigation we decide that further investigation of the complaint is not warranted. If this happens, we will explain our reasons and advise that we intend to close the complaint file.

Most complaints are resolved satisfactorily for both the customer and the supplier.  However, the Energy Ombudsman also has the power to make a binding decision.

Back to top